2021 Faculty Election
Running for: Division 3. Natural Sciences and Mathematics: Faculty Council, Nontenured
- Research Associate Professor, Department of Computer Science & Chief Operating Officer, RENCI
- Computer Science, College of Arts and Sciences
- Appointed: 2011
- Ph.D., The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2010
- Candidate Website
A UNC Computer Science faculty since 2011, Jay Aikat is Chief Operating Officer of UNC’s Renaissance Computing Institute (RENCI), which develops and deploys data science research cyberinfrastructure.
* Elected member (2018-21) UNC Faculty Council;
* Led and participated in several data science initiatives at UNC-CH since 2013;
* Faculty Appointee (2018-21) UNC Committee on Community and Diversity; &
* Elected member (2020-23) Chancellor’s Advisory Committee.
Aikat's association with Carolina began in 1996, as IT Director in two schools, later as a 2010 Ph.D. graduate in Computer Science, and as Computer Science faculty since 2011.
The Covid-19 pandemic has highlighted unprecedented challenges in healthcare, economy, research, and pedagogy. Now more than ever, it is imperative to unite our collective minds to solve the complex issues facing Carolina.
Our Faculty Council has attained increased significance in the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.
If re-elected, I will continue serving Faculty Council as a representative of the College division of Natural Sciences and Mathematics.
Since 2013, I have worked on data science initiatives with our collegial and collaborative faculty across various units on campus.
We deeply value faculty governance at Carolina. We cherish the shared sprit of transparency, accountability and camaraderie among faculty and administration. I wish to continue to contribute to our shared faculty governance.