The message below was sent to the General Faculty on Friday, July 25, 2014

###

Dear Faculty Colleagues,

Along with Chancellor Carol Folt and Bob Blouin, Dean of the Eshelman School of Pharmacy, I would like to convey my shock, dismay and sadness at the loss of our cherished faculty colleague Professor Feng Liu due to a violent attack off campus two days ago.

Professor Liu was beloved by colleagues and students—a remarkably accomplished investigator as well as superlative mentor and advisor.

The Carolina faculty is one of the greatest in the world because of our commitment to educational and research excellence. But what makes us truly unique is our willingness to work together to help make the world a better place. By all accounts, Professor Liu embodied all these qualities and epitomized the very best that Carolina faculty have to offer.

I would like to express my gratitude to the Chapel Hill Police Department for their quick response following the attack that led to the arrest of two people in connection with this event. However, this news does not diminish the tragic sense of loss our community is experiencing.

I hope that in the wake of this tragedy, we will honor Professor Liu’s memory by pulling together and offering support to one another, and especially to Dr. Liu’s family, students and colleagues.

As the Chancellor mentioned in her message to the University, campus counseling resources are available for students through Counseling and Psychological Services at 919-966-3658, and for faculty and staff through our Employee Assistance Program at 877-314-5841.

I am grateful to be associated such a wonderful faculty community as we grieve together.  Thank you.

Sincerely,

Bruce A. Cairns
Chair of the Faculty
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill