2022 Faculty Election
Running for: Honorary Degrees and Special Awards Committee
- Clinical Associate Professor
- Health Behavior, Gillings School of Global Public Health
- Appointed: 2002
- Ph.D., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1989
I have served as a member, chair or co-chair of numerous committees and task forces. Some of the more recent examples include:
* search committees (most recently Provost, VP for Enrollment, directors of Campus Y and American Indian Center)
* review committees for a dean, directors of two pan-university centers and two center reviews
* Provost's Task Force on Engaged Scholarship in Promotion and Tenure, Work Group on Experiential Education during COVID, IDEAS curriculum experiential education work group
* Carolina Engagement Council
I am interested in serving on the Honorary Degrees and Special Awards Committee as it is an very important way that Carolina recognizes and honors individuals who serve the University and support our tri-partite mission in extraordinary ways. In making these awards, we increase the awareness of the many contributions the recipients make throughout the state, the nation and the world and make a public statement that we, as a University, hold those contributions in high regard.
As director of the Carolina Center for Public Service, I have extensive experience in competitive nomination and selection processes. In particular, the Center manages the annual campus-wide public service awards for faculty, students and staff, and overseeing that has provided me with insights and understanding that would serve me well on this committee.