February 10, 2012
Faculty Governance News
February 10, 2012
The Office of Faculty Governance publishes Faculty Governance News monthly. Send information to be considered for inclusion to Anne Whisnant on Monday before an issue is scheduled to appear (see 2011-12 publication dates). For immediate news, “Like” our page on Facebook or “Follow Us” on Twitter (@UNCFacGov).
Faculty Council Meets Today (2/10), Digital Humanities Featured
All faculty members are welcome to attend the February Faculty Council meeting, which will be held today, Friday, February 10, from 3-5pm in the Sonja Haynes Stone Center for Black Culture and History. The Council will hear presentations about the Friday Center, the Association of Retirement Organizations in Higher Education, ESL services on campus, and “The Transformative Potential of Digital Humanities.” Committees that will report this month are: Faculty Information Technology; Scholarships, Awards and Student Aid; and Undergraduate Admissions. Council will vote on a resolution regarding credit hour policy and go into closed session to discuss Honorary Degree nominees for 2013. The full agenda is available here. If you cannot attend the meeting, you can follow and join in on our live Twitter stream at the hashtag #FacCouncil.
Nominate Faculty to Serve on Committees, Council
In advance of each year’s faculty elections in April, the Faculty Nominating Committee identifies faculty who are willing to undertake service to the University. The committee is meeting this month. If you would like to recommend another faculty member to serve on Faculty Council or any of the standing committees, it is not too late! Please email your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org. A complete list of the committees is here. Thanks to all who filled out the faculty interest survey!
Faculty Must Save Old Blackboard Courses
The deadline to move Blackboard courses to Sakai is rapidly approaching. In order to save your old Blackboard courses, go to your Blackboard control panel and select “Export Course.” This will allow you to download your course as a .zip file. The process will only take a few minutes and will prevent you from losing your old course materials.
Post a Research Opportunity with the Office for Undergraduate Research!
Now that the Spring 2012 semester has begun, the Office for Undergraduate Research invites you to incorporate undergraduate researchers into your research activity by posting research opportunities to our Database of Undergraduate Research Opportunities. Students use this resource to research possibilities in the areas and disciplines that interest them the most. Postings expire after one year or upon request. We encourage you to add new research projects and opportunities to the database. Also, we would greatly appreciate any feedback about the database; we want to continue to improve it and make it valuable to you and to students. Thank you for helping us to make undergraduates aware of the variety of opportunities to carry out mentored research, scholarship or creative performance at Carolina by
adding your posting to this database: http://www.unc.edu/depts/our/for_faculty.html
Campus-Wide Award Deadlines and Events
Deadline Today (2/10) for 2012 Public Service Awards
Friday, February 10th is the final deadline for the 2012 campus public service and engagement awards. Details on all of the awards and how to rush your nomination in are online here.
Women and Men in the Workplace: Are Women Really That Different?
The Association for Women Faculty and Professionals invites the campus community to attend the second in a series of brown bag lunch discussions that will provide an informal opportunity to learn about issues important to women on our campus. The second session (February 20, 12:00 noon to 1:00 pm, Pleasants Family Room, Wilson Library) will feature a discussion with Brenda Malone, Vice Chancellor for Human Resources on differences between men and women in the workplace. The third session will take place on March 21. Cookies and drinks will be provided. Please register in advance.
Mary Turner Lane Award Nominations Due 2/28
The Association for Women Faculty and Professionals invites nominees for the Mary Turner Lane award to be presented to a woman who has made an outstanding contribution to the lives of women on the UNC-Chapel Hill campus. The nomination deadline is Tuesday, February 28, 2012. This year’s recipient will be honored at the annual AWFP Spring Luncheon, now set for May 2nd. Full details on the award and instructions on how to nominate someone are here.
Dr. Alan Cross’s Memorial Service to be Held 2/18
Dr. Alan Cross, longtime faculty member in the School of Medicine, died on January 5, 2012. His family invites the university community to attend a memorial service on February 18, 2012 at 2:00 pm at the Grumman Auditorium of the Friday Center, 100 Friday Center Dr. Chapel Hill, NC. A reception will follow from 3 to 4:30. More details on the ceremony and on Dr. Cross’s life and career are online here.
Discussion, 2/28: “Big-Time College Sports: What Needs to Change?”
Panel discussion with author and historian Taylor Branch, former University of North Carolina President William C. Friday, and Duke University public policy and law professor Charles T. Clotfelter. Will Blythe, author of To Hate Like This is To Be Happy Forever, will moderate.
February 28, 2012
5:00 p.m. Reception, Sonja Haynes Stone Center
5:30 p.m. Panel discussion, Sonja Haynes Stone Center Auditorium
Working on Women in Science Talk, 3/2: “You Can Have it All”
Working on Women in Science will host Linda S. Birnbaum, Director, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences & National Toxicology Program Division for a luncheon and discussion on issues related to women in science on Friday, March 2, 2012, from 11:00-12:00 in Rosenau 133. RSVP requested. Full information online here.
UNC Family Medicine’s Huntley Lecture, 3/7
UNC- Chapel Hill Family Medicine invites you to the 8th Annual Robert R. Huntley, MD Lecture and Luncheon. The speaker will be Thomas S. Inui, MD, ScM, MACP, Professor of Medicine and Director of Research, Indiana University Center for Global Health; and North American Co-Director for Research, IU-AMPATH Research Network. The topic of the talk will be “Changing from the Inside Out: Transforming the Culture of a Large Medical School,” with a focus on, “overcoming hopelessness—how to change culture in complex organizations to face our most challenging problems.”
This event will take place Wednesday, March 7, 2012 from 11:30 – 1:30 PM at the Rizzo Center, Chapel Hill, NC. Please RSVP by Friday, February 24 by calling 919.843.4760 or e-mailing Donna_Parker@med.unc.edu.
Feminist Perspectives on Global Health Conference, 3/16
The UNC Department of Women’s Studies invites all to register for “Feminist Perspectives on Women’s Global Health and Human Rights: A One-day Conference” to take place at the University Room in Hyde Hall on March 16, 2012 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.. You can preregister here.
Other Workshops and Events
- February 14: Clinical Trial Investigator Series: Finding Funding for Clinical Trials
- February 17: Managing Your Time Effectively
- February 21: New Principal Investigator Training: Financial Compliance
- February 21: Teaching in Summer School
- February 22: Clinical Trial Investigator Series: Clinical Trial Budgets and Introduction to Core Facilities
- February 23: Developing Critical Thinking
- February 24: Implementing Evidence-Based Approaches to Reduce Disparities in Colorectal Cancer
- February 24: Self-Aware Leadership: A Source of Resilience
- February 26: Faculty and Staff Appreciation Day: UNC Women’s Basketball vs. Duke
Faculty Governance in the News
Recent articles featuring Office of Faculty Governance staff, Faculty Council, and faculty committee work.
- “Honor Court Cases Disproportionately Involve Males, Report Finds” in The DTH, January 16, 2012
- “UNC Honor System Task Force Finalizes Objectives for Change” in The DTH, January 18, 2012
- “Pass/fail grading to be examined at UNC” in The DTH, January 26, 2012
- “UNC faculty committee discusses scholarships, Alert Carolina” in meeting in The DTH, January 26, 2012
- “UNC Honor system task force finalizes objectives for change” in The DTH, January 18, 2012
- “Online plagiarism, pedagogy tool piloted this semester” in University Gazette, January 26, 2012
What We’re Reading
Articles, books, or other resources of interest to faculty.
- Teaching tip #4: Prepare and deliver lectures that engage and sustain student attention (CFE Online Resource)
- “College Sports Reform: Now? Never?” in Inside Higher Edon January 10, 2012
- UNC Athletic Dept. Faculty and Staff Newsletter
- Learning student names (Online Resource)
- “The NCAA’s New Rules,” in Inside Higher Edon January 16, 2012
- “Do Sports Build Character or Damage It?” in The Chronicleon January 16, 2012
- Teaching tip #5: Personalize your class(Online Resource)
- “Apple’s New E-Textbook Platform Enters an Already Crowded Field” in The Chronicle on January 19, 2012.
- “Why Doctorates Get Delayed,” in Inside Higher Edon January 23, 2012.
- “State Support For Higher Education Falls 7.6% in 2012 Fiscal Year,” in The Chronicle on January 23, 2012
- “Obama Puts Focus on Colleges, Research, and Training” in The Chronicle on January 25, 2012
- “Business Leaders Say They’re Underwhelmed by the College Graduates They Hire” in The Chronicle on January 26, 2012
- “A Call to Action” in Inside Higher Edon January 30, 2012.
- “As Scholarship Goes Digital, Academics Seek New Ways to Measure Their Impact,” in The Chronicle on February 1, 2012
- “When Black Men Succeed,” in Inside Higher Ed on February 6, 2012