Article 12: Administrative Board of the Library
(a) There is an Administrative Board of the Library composed of fifteen members. Seven members are elected by and from the following electoral divisions:
- The Divisions of the Humanities and Fine Arts of the College of Arts and Sciences—two members.
- The Division of the Social Sciences of the College of Arts and Sciences—two members.
- The Division of Natural Sciences and Mathematics of the College of Arts and Sciences—two members.
- The University Libraries—one member.
(b) The chair of the faculty appoints seven members of the Administrative Board of the Library, as follows:
- One member from the Hussman School of Journalism and Media, the Kenan-Flagler Business School, the School of Education, the School of Law, the School of Information and Library Science, the School of Social Work, or the School of Government.
- Two members from the Division of Health Affairs.
- Two members from the faculty at large.
- One undergraduate student, on recommendation of the president of the student body.
- One graduate student, on recommendation of the president of the Graduate and Professional Student Federation.
(c) The University librarian is a member ex officio. [Amended March 19, 2010; April 12, 2019.]
§ 12-2. Administrative Board of the Library; Election and Terms of Members; Meetings
Elected members of the board are nominated and elected by the process employed for the Faculty Council. It is preferable that no more than one elected member be from any single school or department. Student members of the board serve one-year terms. All other appointed and elected members serve three-year terms. No elected or appointed member serves more than two consecutive terms.
The board elects a chair from among its members annually. The board meets at least six times each year upon the call of the chair or of the University librarian.
§ 12-3. Administrative Board of the Library; Duties[Amended March 16, 2012; April 12, 2019.]
Subject to the power of the General Faculty and the Faculty Council, the Administrative Board:
- Advises the University librarian on the administration of the University library system, the general policies governing library collections, and budget;
- Advocates for the University Libraries; and
- Makes an annual report to the Faculty Council. 1