Data, Resolutions, and Reports Related to UNC-CH Fixed-Term Faculty
Fixed term faculty represent a growing segment of UNC-Chapel Hill’s teaching, research, and clinical academic employees. As of Fall 2014, 48% of UNC’s 3667 faculty members are on fixed term contracts (not all of those faculty hold full-time appointments). The distribution varies across campus, however. Within Academic Affairs, 27% of faculty are on fixed term contracts, and in Health Affairs, 61% of faculty are on fixed term contracts.
In Summer 2014, the Fixed Term Faculty Committee undertook a survey on the experiences of fixed term faculty across UNC-Chapel Hill. Of 1749 faculty members, 878— 50%– responded. We will post the analysis of this data as it becomes available.
Statistics on Fixed-Term Faculty at Carolina (from UNC’s HR Data Warehouse, November 2008):
- Tenure status of full-time permanent “EPA Faculty” by school or division
- Tenure status of full-time permanent “EPA Faculty” by department
- Tenure status of all full- and part-time permanent “EPA Faculty” (useful for seeing what percentage of the permanent faculty who are not on the tenure track are also part-time)
- Tenure status of all full- and part-time temporary “EPA Faculty” (useful for tracking numbers of temporary faculty who are also not on the tenure track)
- 2008 Fixed-term Faculty Review Committee, College of Arts and Sciences, UNC-CH, Final Report
Resolution 2014-10. On Authorizing the Title “Teaching Professor” for Fixed-Term Faculty in Substitution for the Title “Master Lecturer” (4/25/2014)
Resolution 2011-4. On Endorsing the Rank of Master Lecturer (4/15/2011)
Resolution 2007-7. On Membership of the Council Committee on Fixed-Term Faculty (04/22/2007)
Resolution 2006-6. On Fixed-Term Faculty (04/21/2006) Faculty Council Meeting Minutes (01/14/2005)
Resolution 2003-7. Responding to the Recommendations of the Task Force on Appointments, Promotions, and Tenure (03/28/2003)
01/27/2010: Dean Karen Gil’s letter to Provost Bruce Carney with the Fall 2009 Report of the Arts and Sciences Committee to Develop Policies and Procedures for Fixed-Term Faculty (Committee chaired by Bill Andrews)
From the UNC System Faculty Assembly: UNC Constituent Institution Responses to the Report of the Committee on Non-Tenure Track Faculty, September 2008
Report and Recommendations: Committee on Non-Tenure Track Faculty, Presented to the Personnel and Tenure Committee, UNC Board of Governors, 6 March 2002
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.